Monday 5 March 2012

Simple Felt Rose Tutorial

I have seen some gorgeous fabric and ribbon flowers.  With Mother's Day coming up, my boss asked me to help the children sew something for their mums. I had the idea of doing ribbon flowers but the ones I liked I found too fiddly for me let alone the children.  I am sure they could do have done them but I needed something simple but looked really good.  We have children aged 4 to 11 so it needs to be something all ages can do.

I remembered those lovely paper flowers and at the time thought they would be good in felt. So I hunted down a tutorial - I used this one but there are lots of good ones about.

Here is my felt rose.


I am really really pleased with it.

Here is how to make it:-

You will need scissors and felt plus brooch back if you want to make a brooch, or hair clip if you want one of those instead, or some sort of stem if you want to make a bunch.
I started with a rectangle of felt.

Then cut off the corners to make them curved.

start cutting at one end, or middle. You will be cutting a spiral.

Cutting the spiral

Leave a circle in the middle as this will be the base.

Thread your needle, and secure it in the end of the spiral.

Start to wind, starting from the end, sewing as you go.




Just keep winding and sewing.

At the end you will be left with the circle. This is the base so just pop it over the rest.

Circle base popped over the rest!

Then sew little stitches (which will be much neater than mine) around to secure the base.

Turn over and see your wonderful rose.

It is now finished and ready for whatever you want to do with it.
You can make big ones, little ones. Stick a bead in the middle. Decorate the edges with glitter. Try using fabric other than felt.  I like these as I know that each child's will be different.

Have fun and let me know how you get on.

Update from 26 February 2013 - I now also have a tutorial for felt roses on a stem and corsage - so pop over here. 

9 comments:

Heather Leavers said...

beautiful - I thought at first you'd started from the wrong end, but the circle finishes off the base really neatly.

Bigbluebed said...

Thank you Heather.

Just K Jewellery said...

that's fabulous - might have to try it myself!

Laurie said...

Oh! I have never seen them made this way! Thanks for the tip!

Ticced-Off said...

Very nice indeed. Will have to try this for myself.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much I sewed it onto a cushion and it worked REALLY well I can't stop thanking you.
Xxx

Bigbluebed said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bigbluebed said...

I am so pleased to hear that people like this tutorial. I would love to see photos. xx

Greennnpanda Craft said...

Thanks for the tutorial~!!