Tuesday 25 September 2012

Honing My Craft

What an interesting word 'Honing' is.  Is sounds odd as it rolls on your tongue.

'Hone' means 'sharpen on a whetstone' - so it means giving a sharp edge to a tool.   My tool, I suppose, is my needle and my fingers. And if I 'give them a fine edge' it means I am making my skills better and better.

I was looking at my flickr page, this morning. I have a set 'Dorset buttons' and there right at the bottom is one of the first buttons I ever made.  Here it is:


It is off-centre and the stitches are wonky.  Compare it with these which are the same size, more or less:



and these which are much smaller:



I am getting better. I am honing my skills, sharpening the old metaphorical tool on the old metaphorical whetstone.

It is good to look back and then look forward.

3 comments:

Heather Leavers said...

My goodness - if you'd ONLY shown the first, earlier button I'd have been impressed with it, but seen next to your newer versions it's clear you really have improved! (I confess I'm not keen on looking at pics of my early work!)

Bigbluebed said...

Thank you Heather. I keep thinking shall I delete the photos, but I think it is good to see the improvement.

Jennifer Rose said...

thats a great improvement :) the first one looks fine to me, but you can tell with the newer ones your skills have improved