Friday 29 January 2010

Pom Poms Galore


I have been inspired by Kirsty of That Crafty Fish blog this week. In this post just before Christmas, she talked about pom poms.

And they have stuck in my mind. I thought the children at the club where I work would love to make them. So I gathered together some wool (from charity shops, cheap shops, and my own stash) and took them to work.

I also bought a couple of plastic pom pom making rings. I had a practice at home with these and realised I need to find some small sharp scissors. Then again at work the lack of small sharp scissors was a problem - but a visit to the pound shop the next day solved it.

In the end we found that making cardboard rings was easier as there were enough to go round, they could be taken home to finish there, and the children could make what size they want.

So this week it has been pom poms galore. Yesterday we had to add another table as more children wanted to join in. The children are so inventive with colours as well. Few are making ones of a single colour but using lots of colours to make wonderful pom poms.

Thank you Kirsty for reminding me how much fun it is. And thank you children for letting me share your fun. I love my job!

4 comments:

x vInTaGe VioLeT x said...

i remember making pom-poms as a kid but not what i made with them - what will the kids use theirs for? Is it an after-school club you work at?

Bigbluebed said...

Yes VV - I work at an After School Club.

Some of the children attached googlie eyes and made them into monsters. But lots just liked the fluffy feel of a pomp pom.

Kitty Ballistic said...

I like making pompoms as well - you're right, pompoms feel great. :-D I wonder how long they'd last as cat toys...

MitziMakes said...

Aw I used to love making pompoms, we used to make pompom pets :)